Friday, October 30, 2015

Neverness goes to Warhammer

Last weekend, the fiancé and I took a much needed weekend retreat to the Smokys, and on our 2nd day we decided to romp around Knoxville. Knowing of a favorite restaurant that I wanted my lass to try, I googled it's location only to have Google show me, rather prominently, that the place of my search was a block away  from Warhammer.

Warhammer? Games Workshop opened a store in Knoxville? After a more intensive web search I confirmed that yes, indeed, they did! It's only been open for about a month now, and from what I can tell, doing very well! Thus a planned excursion to the Turkey Creek area of the Knoxville metroplex was plotted and carried out.

So by luck, on the day I went, the store was show-casing it's first Armies on Parade event!


I was immediately captivated by the displays and dioramas that were located around the store, and after asking the proprietor, Mik,  for permission to take photos, I immediately began snapping pics. In fact, I was bit too enthusiastic about doing so and took way too many pics, so after some consideration I have decided to show you the highlights from the pics that I took.


This first thing that caught my eye was this impressive Dwarven fortress:

The army was nice, but the fortress that it's mounted on simply overwhelmed me. So many cool details in this thing.


The dwarven statues fascinated me, and I wish I knew where he obtained the dwarf statues or if he made him from scratch. Either way, very cool!

Next up was a scene featuring Chaos daemons vs. the Adeptus Mechanicus.  The models are nicely done though I found the setting was a bit simple compared to some of the other armies on display.


 Next up, here are a few models that seem to follow a Halloween theme. I dig the brashness of the Headless Horseman style jetbike rider.


More Halloween theme: Dwarves in a graveyard!


I spent a long time looking at this next army, perhaps pondering my own neglected Space Wolves?  However, mine aren't nearly as blood soaked as these chaps! I reckon a whole bottle of Blood for the Blood God was used on it!




I looked at the Space Wolf flyer for a long time. I have contemplated getting one of these for a long time now, but have been hesitant about it. I like the way this one turned out, and maybe I may cave sooner than later and finally get one for myself.


This isn't the first Space Wolf Imperial Knight I have seen (online I admit) but seeing this in person was very inspiring! Very nice result here!!!


Next to it was very bright green Necron army!


I particularly admired how he was able to get his green light effects to match the necron rods in the gaus guns. There are a lot of unique elements in this scene, and it was quite awesome!


Another Ad Mec army that was very fun to look at. I was particularly captivated by the multicolored robots..

Next up, Bretonnians! How cool it is to see this flashback to Warhammer 5th Edition and to Perilous Quest too (in fact, some of the card stock is from that campaign set!)


 Age of Sigmar! The models are well done, but the bases almost steal the show from them. Very interesting concept though...

Here is a BIG chaos army! Lots of details going on here,


But I have to save my favorite for last. I shall hold my comments, just look at the Eldar army by Zeke; simply phenomenal:







No doubt that's some nice airbrush work, and the results just speak for themselves! Very cool!

Well done to all who participated, it was a joy letting me, and everyone else, admire your work! I'm not sure I could display my figs like this, I am so paranoid about people touching, breaking or stealing my models, that I commend your bravery in participating and I hope nothing bad happened to any one's models. .


So, while spending my time all google-eyed and fascinated by what I beheld, I saw what the jaded nay-sayers in my local area would probably not expect: A lot of people buying Games Workshop, a lot of people engaging each other about these games, products and the modeling and painting hobby. Indeed there was a about a dozen or so teenagers and young adults feverishly painting armies at the table in the center of the store. It was very cool watching them do this. Mik was tremendously grateful to everyone he encountered and very helpful. There was no dumb questions to be asked, he was there to help and help all, regardless of age or knowledge. Compared to the last GW store I was at, the energy level in this place was just awesome! I hope the Turkey Creek Warhammer Store, and Mik, prosper and stick around in East Tennessee for a very long time!

How could I not be glad to see these old books?
And yes, I picked up some things. An audiodrama that I am eager to listen too still, Warhammer Visions (only the 2nd issue I have ever picked up, but the new size enticed me) and my fiancé got me another box of Fenrisian Wolves (yes, I was inspired by the Space Wolf army!)  And I got a free pen!

5 comments:

thebob489 said...

Some impressive armies! I wish the store well!

eriochrome said...

It is Mik's store. Just opened in the summer. He has blogged at:

http://miksminis.blogspot.com/

for years.

neverness said...

Thanks for posting the link to his blog, I enjoyed reading through the creation of his Beastmen army, and his show case of Skull Keep has given me some ideas of my own... ;)

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, I've periodically perused Mik's minis for years! Kinda cool to find that he's semi-local to us!

Oh, and Jaded? Wha--WHO???
lol...

Faux said...

Awesome. I was there when you were. :) I think I remember your wife buying the wolves. A great blog. Come back some time!