Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Blood Axe Boyz ( Part 5)

Alright, here are eight more Boyz completed for Drab Squad. (I'm saving the Nob for last). It's been a long road for these guys (even longer when one factors in their age!) but we have arrived to their completion. 


At the time of this writing we are still in the first year of Warhammer 40,000 10th edition and it looks like my battalion plan for my Orks is pretty much still functional. So I will continue to develop my Bad Moons, Goff and Blood Axes. The Blood Axes are still going to mostly, and almost exclusively, use older miniatures. In fact I think they'll be all metal by the time they're finally done. 

But let's talk about these guys. This first one is a plasma gunner. Not sure what he'll count as in game since the Orks lost their plasma weapons way back in 3rd edition. 


This guy's has the least amount of olive drab on him as he has the most metal of leather jackets. He is also the only one I could squeeze a Blood Axe icon onto. In this case I imagined it as a back patch. I did this by hand; not sure if I like the results but I think it'll do. 


This guy has a visor in his helm. Definitely a look that never made it out of the early days of Rogue Trader. I like to think it's part of welding mask incorporated into his armor. 


I put a beaky helmet on the base of this guy. Of course I had to paint it in Ultramarines colors as the only beakies that my old Orks consistently fought against were my brother's old Ultramarines


This guy with the foreign legion hat has a Dark Eldar helm on his base. Painted in my favorite kabal colors of course, that of the Obsidian Rose


It was also kind of cool to see belts of bullets all over this guy that were actually scaled to look like normal bullets. 


Here's the second of the visor guys. He is distinguished by the rocks on his base. His foot was bent in an odd way so instead of trying to bend it back I just stuck a rock under it to give the impression that he might be walking over it. 


The next two Boyz are extremely basic. I painted their boots in different colors to make it easier to tell them apart. 


And the brown shoes guy has a skull on his base for a bit more distinction. 



Here is a heavy plasma gunner ork. I love how crude and cobbled together this thing appears. I still think orks should've kept their access to plasma weapons in the game but with the provision that they could only shoot on the maximal setting with the required 'gets hot' test.
How is that not orky?!


Either way,  I like the idea that the Blood Axes have tankers full of olive drab paint that they spray all over everything (kind of like what the U.S. military used to do back in 1970s. Everything on the bases I spent my youth on was olive drab. Well until they fell in love with cammo in the mid-80s. But I digress). Thus even pieces of equipment such as this heavy plasma gun just has to be olive drab. 


This grinning guy is the last of the lot. Again, more of his gear is olive drab than not. -As it should be! 


Ok, as I stated at the start,  only the nob is left for this unit. Look for him in a future post. 



5 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

Loving the RTB01 Orks. If there are Orks with plasma guns because their figures have plasma guns, that's just the rool ov kool.

When I get to TN, I want to see your entire collection laid out.

Suber said...

These are fantastic! The olive drab treatment suits them perfectly and I think they look terrific!

DAM said...

So cool! I love it. Orcs in 2nd edition were my first Warhammer 40k army. Those old sculpts bring back memories for sure. Nice job!

Sir Tainly said...

Love seeing those 'Space Ork Raiders' still in use!

neverness said...

Thanks for all the compliments everybody. Yeah, these Boyz are definitely old! Believe it or not I never had the RTB02 box as a poor comic book addicted boy living overseas I just never had the cash for. Those models I did accumulate from it came from individual blister pack purchases (£3.50 was just over $6 back then. If I had only know what they would cost in the future I would've dropped some of the comic collecting!).