|A chunk of the progress.|
All but three models have their 'red parts' finished. The three models that I am holding back are the Sybarites and a special weapons model that I feel deserve more focus and less of an assembly-line approach when it's their turn for color.
|Sybarites with armor base coats.|
As stated in the last post, this scheme is based on a coven presented in the 5th ed Codex: Dark Eldar called the Obsidian Rose. I'll let you judge if I have done a good job representing it with these models.
|The stages. Finished guy on the left.|
Basically the red color scheme is simple, yet requires a little patience and a bit of precision.
- It's essential to prime the models black, and I usually apply my primer as thin as possible then go over the model again in Chaos (or Abbadon) Black.
- Next I thinnly apply Scab Red to any raised areas and edges on the areas that I have decided will be the "red" part of the armor.
- Then I go over it again with a more solid application of Scab Red along the edges ad higher areas.
- I use a strong application of Blood Red on the edges but a dry brush along the high points that aren't so obvious.
- I then give this area a wash of Nuln Oil to tone the reds back down.
- I used Chaos (or Abbadon) Black to the areas I might have been sloppy with or that I might have added too much red to.
- I reapply a conservative amount of Blood Red back onto the edges, picking out the parts I want to stand out.
- A final highlight of Sunburst Yellow is added to the extreme edges of the red.