Saturday, February 03, 2018

The Daemons of Neverness (an intro).

Greetings. As hinted at in my 2017 year-end -review, I plan (and/or hope) on making Chaos Daemons a focus this year. I will be starting with Slaanesh, or rather continuing on from the work I did last year (see Daemonettes-part-2 and The Return of She Who Milks part 4). But more on that in a bit. First, I wanted to take this time to look over the totality of my Chaos Daemon collection. It is a rather strange collection spanning decades, and game editions.

My collection started with Nurgle, a history I discussed before when I showcased my old Deathguard models. These daemons were part of that collection, and the standout (because tbey came to me already painted) models are these Nurgling bases and Beast of Nurgle. These are the origional Rogue Trader/ Lost and the Damned miniatures. The Beast of Nurgle, in my opinion, is the still the best version GW has ever produced. The mid '90s versions were just pathetic, the '00s version was just...ugh. But the newly released plastic kit is very good however and I think I just might get one. Or two.

The Original Nurgle's Rot.
The plague continued on into the '90s with the collection of a unit of Plaguebearers. I found that the RT era and 2nd ed minis mixed well together. Both eras had the "Alfred E. Newman" smiles and the large feet. I hated the 3rd version with the fork tooth swords and melted features. The new plastics are great and I have some of them as well as these old pewter guys.

"What? Me rot?"
These are the original Flamers of Tzeentch, except for one guy who is actually an old Tzeentchian Renagade Marine. The Rogue Trader era Tzeentch Chaos Renegades were extremely mutated with many of them having fungal bodies like the flamers do. They all became redundant in the mid '90s with the arrival of the 2nd ed Chaos Codex. With that book's expanded lore eliminating them once and for all thanks to Arhiman's Rubric spell. So, this lonely model ended up fitting in fairly well with these old Flamers.

The Flaming Shrooms.

Up next is the unit of beasts and I am looking forward to completing them soon. They are the original Fiends of Slaanesh. They are going to take a lot of work to get them done the way I visualise them turning out, but I think I can pull it off. More on them soon (ish).

Fiends of Slaanesh.

There is a lot happening in this next pic. Starting from the top left corner we have a disassembled Palanquin of Nurgle,  the Beast of Nurgle with Nurglings, and a few of the original Bloodletters. Next row we have the 10 plaguesbearers featured above. Row 3 have the Flamers of Tzeentch and Brimstone Horrors. Row 4 starts with the moon-headed sorcerer on disk, an original Great Unclean One (Giggles the Rotter) and finally a bunch of Pink Horrors of Tzeentch.

The denizens of the warp - in one box!

Assembled here are two of the plastic Daemonettes boxed sets which I started to assemble in late summer of 2017 and finally finished in December of 2017. This will likely be the first of everything here that I will paint in 2018. So more on them when they get their own posts.

The Daemonettes, waiting for their paint.
Here are some of my unopened blister packs and box sets. Starting with four Seekers of Slaanesh. These are the brilliant and highly coveted Juan Diez sculpts. I am still trying to decide if I am really going to open and paint these or save them for my son's college fund... and yes, I do have a fifth model somewhere that I bought loose on ebay.

The highly sought after seekers.
Here are most of the boxed sets I have yet to build.  Bloodletters,, the Tzeentch Flaming Chariot,  plastic Blue Horrors, the late '90s metal Keeper of Secrets, Juan Diez Daemonettes, plastic Seekers of Slaanesh, and Two Cannons of Khorne on each side of the late '90s Great Unclean One.

Boxed Chaos.
Here is a rarity: the pewter-cast Changer of Ways. Tbis is when they repackaged him and renamed him the Lord of Change for the early '90s distribution in the U.S. He is joined in this pic by two of the plastic Pink Horrors from the Silver Tower Warhammer Quest game.

Old Changer of Ways and new Pink Horrors.
More blisters! The green packs are all Blue Horrors. The red packs are Chaos Spawn and the black packs are the special characters Skulltaker and The Masque.

Horrors, spawns and characters.
Nurglings! These packs of mixed nurglings that span across each and every incarnation they have had in metal. I completely prefer the current plastics as far as bases of Nurglings are concerned, so these will likely end up scattered across my Nurgle miniatures as base adornments or riding on vehicles or something.

Nurglings!
And here we have Daemon Princes.

Prince of the (warp) universe.

Azazel is going to be a Slaaneshi Daemon Prince of course. The other guy....well, I sort of forgot I had him. I do think I orginally was going to paint him up as an Emperor's Children Daemon Prince, but I think he might just be a Black Legion one instead. Even though my Khorne Daemon Prince is wearing Black Legion armor already, but that probably doesn't matter. I have time to think about this further I think...

Finally, I got these recently, and I think they will give the whole army quite a bit more muscle and options. They should round out the force rather well and the Khorne set in particular will give my force three skull cannons.

Fodder for the fodder gods.
It will be interesting to see just how far I can get with all this, and hopefully it will also be fun as well.

No comments: