Saturday, June 15, 2019

Ynnari Dire Avenger


Soulbound Dire Avenger color test.

This may seem a bit 'out of the blue' for anyone who follows this blog regularly, but I assure you that this has been brewing for a long time. To sum up, I really like the concept of the Ynnari, and since I have Dark Eldar (Drukhari),  Eldar (Aeldari) and Harlequin armies this seems like a neat way to get them on the table. They are not my main focus armies, although the Dark Eldar have gotten a lot of love for me in recent times, and I clown around sometimes on my Harlequins, I just haven't done anything with my Eldar in ages!

Mrs. Neverness got me the Ynnead Triumvirate for Valentine's day, and the May '19 White Dwarf has some great paint schemes for them. And since all my Eldar factions have red in them (to some degree) I thought it might be fun to tie them all together.

It starts off with a Khorne Red base coat.

Khorne Red.
This is followed by a wash of Nuln Oil. After that a layer of Evil Sunz Scarlet was painted on.

Nuln Oil and Evil Sunz Scarlet.

The White Dwarf article next called for Fire Dragon Bright to be thinly applied as a highlight. I didn't have that one, but I did have the older Fiery Orange which seemed like a close analog.

Firey Orange

Although I liked how this came out, compared to the reference pics this just looked too orange. So I toned it down with a rather liberal wash of Carosburg Crimson.

Carosburg Crimson.
I like it, but I'm not thrilled with it. The model in White Dwarf was really vibrant and I hesitant with adding another highlight so for now I am leaving him like this. The other trappings were fairly easy and straightforward to do. However I am less than thrilled with the white part if the face plate. In hindsight I should have painted that before doing the eyes and the rest of the helmet. One thing I do admit, as much as I generally prefer the original Aspect Warriors, I do think the modern plastic Dire Avengers rock. I especially like the face plates better.
Finished model.

Still, even though this is an experiment, and I had some challenges, I still really enjoyed painting this one. I have some more Eldar I want to tinker with, and I guess one of the reasons I never dove into working on these guys before  was that color schemes for them seems so...I dunno, I suppose disinteresting to me. But I like this Ynnari scheme and I have some more ideas on what to do with it.

Rear view.
See you all at the web-gate!

5 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

This guy needs to spin around and shoot whatever sort of monster that is attacking the tower in the background!

neverness said...

Yes he does. That's an Ork Nob BTW.

Azazel said...

He looks pretty sweet to me in this scheme!

neverness said...

Thanks, I really appreciate that feed-back! I'm about to try out a few more Aspects to see what I think.

Rory (Stepping Between Games) said...

It does look well. But the Ynarri just never appealed to me for sone reason.