Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Rise of Mad Dok Grotsnik part 2


In part one  of this glorious tale of greenness, I touched on some highlights from the previous game where Screech challenged us with his Space Wolves. Da Masta Cheef, my ally in that battle, wrote a more detailed battlereport. That first part ends with me packing up Mad Dok Grotsnik and heading off to a match against Da Cheef's  Red Corsair Centurion and his dreaded Murder Sword. After reading what that guy did to Max's Ultramarines in a recent battle I was unsure how well the Mad Dok list I used against Screech would fair against a Chaos Space Marine force, especially without 500 points of grot allies!

My Orcs assembled and ready for WAAAGH!!!
Note that unlike the previous game I didn't use the mob we nicknamed 'Ork Pizza' but instead used my original plastic boyz from the '89 boxed set. They are a Technicolor dream aren't they? Cheef was intimidated by their mohawks! LOL

The Centurion's force complete with anticipatory Soul-blaze tokens.
The field of battle.
This would be my first game playing on the Realm of Battle board. I like the surface and think it makes for some great pics. I lament the fact that I had so many unfinished models still to meekly place down onto such a fine battleground.

So we rolled the mission and got 'Emperor's Will' (which made for a good chuckle considering that neither of us had Imperial forces) placed objectives, and deployed. I can't recall if I stole the Initiative, but I do recall setting up very defensively in response to Cheef's set up so I must have.

Ork Deployement.
Chaos Deployment

 And then the fighting began! I threw a bunch of templates into the closest Chaos Cultist unit and eliminated a lot them, but they were steely in their resolve and stood on the hill speaking in tongues at the ork army in crazed defiance!

First blood!
 My Lootas brought down a scary looking dreadn -Hellbrute that just looked like it could kill lots of orks fast.

The extent of the Ork advance, Grotsnik and his Burnas are bottle necked in their effort to race across the board.

 Chaos Turn One.

Cheef kills these three Orks. But sets his friends on fire with Soulblaze.
 Turn Two

In turn one we kept discovering that some units would be out of shooting range by just under an inch. A theme that would continue throughout this game.

The Ork army's advance on turn 2.
 The rhino containing the Centurion, who was determined to murder my Big Mek, who is my warlord in this game, is blown up quite spectacularly. Note the big blast template. I had both the Kill Cannon and Shok Attack gun scatter onto that same relative spot!

Deff Dread wants to get you!
 Meanwhile my Deff Dread attempted to get to grips with either the Chaos Dreadnought -Hellbrute or the Rhino, but despite losing a Hull Point to a plasma gun (what the heck is in that Rhino?!) he rolled a 4 for his charge range only to find he need another 1/4" to reach it! Drats!

Chaos Turn 2

A small squad of Chaos Terminators land in my back field and kill a few of my Lootas!

"I just flew in from hell, and man are my arms tired!"
Charge!

The Hellbrute charged my Deff Dread (yes kids, that really is a Deff Dread, I'll explain in a moment), and rolled the exact number he needed to make contact! 4", which we had a good laugh at considering my previous turn! And just like the previous game where's Screech's Space Wolf Dreadnought botched his attacks, the Hellbrute did likewise and was ripped apart by the Deff Dread after two player turns of assault.


The Centurion maximizes the use of available cover.
 Ork Turn 3
Circle 'round the fire!
 Mad Dok's unit has to go after the closest unit, which was now these annoying terminators (he was really wanting to destroy the Centurion!). The Burnas successfully cleanse the terminators with fire!

Careful with that scatter!
 Again the Shokk Attack Gun and Kill Cannon scatter wildly in a sad attempt to blast the Centurion and his unit!


"Come 'ere tank!"
 After killing the Chaos Dreadnoug....Hellbrute, the Deff Dread consolidates towards the Rhino,

Now, this Deff Dread was the original, circa 1988, Ork Dreadnought. It is piloted by a gretchin. The original idea was that in a cruel experiment a Pain Boy and Mek Boy would partner up and stuff a grot into one of these things, and the crazed power-tripping grot would wreck everything in it's path. The next Ork Dreadnought models came out in 2nd edition and featured an Ork Pilot, and was also bigger to accommodate the large passenger. The 3rd edition dred would only get bigger, and with the current plastic model the size difference is quite laughable! In fact, the grot concept is back in the form of Killer Kans, and we all know, they rock, and they are bigger than this original model. But I don't care, as it still does what it does, and I have it on the proper sized base. I decided that when I paint these (I have two of them and they are both armed the same) I will do them in Bad Moon colors. Maybe the extra wealth of that clan can afford the 'miniaturization' of technology?

Chaos Turn 3

The Deff Dread  is blown apart by the passengers in the rhino, who hit it with more plasma shots!

The Red Corsair Centurion advances up on my Ork Shootas who have taken a lot of casualties from the two Predator tanks down field and from the resulting Soulblaze. How ever he fails on his charge attempt...
Guess who rolled a 4 on his charge dice! Ha! We laugh at you!!!
 One of the predator takes a hull point off of my Gobsmasha which I had moved out of cover in an attempt to try to hurt those annoying Predators. I think the Ork Warbikes were killed off by the cultists this turn as well after they too had failed to roll high enough on their charge distance in the previous turn.

Orks Turn 4

Mad Dok Grotsnik's burna boyz now find that their closest enemy is the rhino that killed the Deff Dread last turn. This target is even more appealing after the Lootas blow up the rhino to reveal the passengers to be a Havoc Squad armed with Plasma Guns! (Ingenious idea Cheef! I got to steal it for my chaos guys!)

My shootas charge the Centurion! They had already blasted away the rest of his unit, but the fearless maniac cared not and challenged my Ork nob. He would've had a lot or re-rolls too, but the Murder Sword was hungry and feasted upon ork meat! I can not recall what his Chaos Reward was...

Nik Fury dies at the hands of the Centurion!
 After another, painful, failed charge, the Burna boys roll too low on their charge distance!
and during Chaos Turn 4, they lose half the squad to concentrated plasma gunnery and soulblaze!

"How come soulblaze has a continuous fire effect but Flamer weapons don't?"
 The Centurion is butchered by the remaining Shoota boyz, who consolidate towards the hill where the remaining Chaos Cultists and Chaos Sorcerer hold on to their objective.

Ork Turn 5.

"Don't shoot until you see the green of their skin!"
 With very few of burna boyz left, Mad Dok Grotsnik declares a charge, only to have his remaining burna boyz killed by the Overwatch. Rolling an 8 on the charge dice, Grotsnik gets the exact number he needs to make contact!
Too close!
And dives into the ruckus!
"Time for yur medz!!!"

And he butchers the Havocs and consolidates into the crater, eying the two predators that have been slowly inching up the field.
"Charge!"
The shoota boyz connect to the Chaos Cultists on the hill. They do well, but remain locked in combat. However in the Chaos Turn 5, the Shoota Boyz would be wiped out, and the objective in his deployment zone is now secure in the grip of the Chaos Cultists!

Turn 6 arrives, and with much of the Chaos force in shambles, and half of the orks gone as well, I decided to move the Gobsmasha out in an effort to ram one of the Predators. I just was out of range for that attempt though...

The I assume shots were taken at the chaos cultist as they appear to have lost a few more from what these next two pics show, but being fearless they were not about to run anywhere.
The Gobsmasha sets up for a ramming attack...
 Chaos Turn 6

Cultist take cover behind the dilapidated bastion and hold on to their objective.
 Mad Dok Grotsnik dies to another las cannon shot to the face from the predators. Oddly, this would be two games in a row where he was removed from the game in this manner.

The face off that wouldn't happen.
 And the game ended, with the final fate of the Gobsmasher left unknown!

The Chaos got 3 Victory Points for holding onto their objective, and the Orks got 5 victory points for holding onto theirs, killing the Centurion (Warlord secondary objective), and First Blood.

All in all, a very fun game!

Inspired again, I took the time to complete Mad Dok Grotsnik's paint job.

And here he is:
Blood For The Blood God was used for the blood on the blades and apron. I like it a lot!!!

Used GW's Middenland Tufts on some of the grass.

Yeah, I left it piss colored for the syringe....ew, right?

 I only wish I had a grot orderly to put on the base with him. Otherwise, I am quite pleased with how he turned out!



No comments: