Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Space Wolves Iron Priest (Part 2)

I have dabbled off an on, here and there,  on this miniature since I posted part-1. Not enough I thought to justify a "part 2" at any of those times, but finally I think we have arrived at that point. In fact, after a new hours of concentration, he is all but done.

The assembled Iron Priest.
I feel like this was the hardest single miniature I have ever painted. This model is practically over-loaded with details. I don't know how someone could assemble him first and expect to reach all the details when painting it.

Backpack and head attached.

Granted, I made things harder on myself by chosing to make him predominately red with Space Wolf gray and yellow details instead of just Space Wolf grey like all the example GW have presented, but even then,  this would still be a challenging model to paint. During the course of assembly I was applying touch-ups to the paint job that I knew I wouldn't be able to reach later.

Gun arm attached.
The model fits together well, but it is still something of a puzzle. I suggest putting the backpack on first as everything else attaches to it. Then the gun arm followed by the shoulder pad that goes on it. I made the mistake of putting the shoulder pad on last which ment I had to maneuver it past the hydraulic claw arm and cables while the pad was wet with glue. I pulled off this feat, but had I put the pad on first it would have been less stressful.

Rear details.
A lot of the rear details get obscured or covered up when the left arm and hydraulic claw arm arm attached. I made sure to put my Space Wolf decal on prior to the final assembly.

Assembled.

And here he is, assembed! To think, I thought I could do this in less than a fortnight! It's probably possible for me to do but I would have to have been a total hermit to make it work.

Stay frosty.
The frost gun and the hammer's frosty bits both have these ice runes that are another insane detail the sadistic sculptors added. These were a challenging detail to paint also as I kept screwing them up until I was finally satisfied with them. I think I have worked out a better solution for handling it, in case I encounter this sort of detail on another model.

Still one thing left to do...

The only thing left to do is draw a Space Wolf badge onto his yellow knee guard. But I was too tired to do that so I will have to continue that in Part 3. And I could not find a Space Wolf decal small enough for it either. Which is weird as other chapters have them, but whatever.

And a name, got to come up with an appropriate name.... (Yellow Knee the Technician has already been rejected).

See you in Part 3.




4 comments:

Rory (Stepping Between Games) said...

Nice job.
GWs versions are all grey because Iron Priests don't don the Mars red.

neverness said...

Thanks. But, yeah, I know the fluff reasons, but screw that, it looks cool.

I don't feel the same way about Runepriests though. So fear not, there shall not be any blue armored psykers among my Space Wolves.

Suber said...

Cool job! Looks nice in red, I think I had never seen one in that colour :D

Da Masta Cheef said...

His name ought to be 'Lager', as in:

https://www.taphunter.com/beer/anheuser-busch-red-wolf-lager/4842495494062080