Thursday, April 04, 2019

Space Marine Medic (Part 1)

This is a very old miniature, one of the first Apothecary models. In fact, when he was first released his title was  just "medic".

"Medic."

I have always loved this model. It was one of the first Space Marine miniatures I saw when I was introduced to the game back in '88. The Doctor had him, and he was painted up very well (for our standards back then anyway) but what sold me was just the attitude of this model; he was simply locked, loaded, and ready to kill. This is one medic you don't screw around with.

Detached from his base with backpack removed.

Despite the character of this model, he was always kind of small, and now looks like a dwarf compared to the Primaris range of miniatures. But I kind of don't care. I am probably going to make him a Dark Angel. Remember, I started a Dark Angel army way back when? Just haven't done anything more since! In fact, the above plastic medipack comes from a Dark Angel sprue. And yes, it would have made sense to incorporate him into my Ultramarines, but I already have too many Apothecaries for that army.

Interesting fact for you; The Doctor had named his Medic "Samael", which is as darn close to a Dark Angel name as you can get!

So a Dark Angel he'll be. How he'll turn out will have to be chronicled in a future post however (consider this post a mission statement!). For now I have removed him from the weird base he was on and removed his backpack as I contemplate stripping off that primer. Check back for updates.

4 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Lovely mini, very characterful and the addition of the new medicae backpack will be a good thing

Mike (Didcot Wargames Club) said...

Great stuff! Love these old classic models.

Suber said...

Lovely choice. I can't wait to see how it looks with the new backpack.

neverness said...

Thanks, I am glad to see so much interest in this old guy. I hope to get him done soon!