Thursday, March 14, 2019

Stormsire's Cursebreakers (Part 1)

Recently I posted a (sorta) review on Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault. Since then I have been mustering stuff to play and run this game. And taking a break from painting Shadow Grey marines, I decided to try to tackle my first warband, Stormsire's Cursebreakers, from the Nightvault starter set. They seem easy enough. And after a viewing of Warhammer TV's tutorial, I was ready to get started. Following Duncan's lead I went ahead and started with Stormsire himself. Unlike the example in the video turtorial I did not fully assemble this model so that I could get to the details better.

Stormsire gets a Retributor Gold basecoat.
The bases were basecoated in Graphite but unlike the typical gray scheme I use, I think I am going to attempt something different that conforms more to the board art in the Nightvault game.

Basecoat with Craft Smart Graphite.


Apple Barrel Pewter Grey layer.
The Graphite and Pewter Grey stages are fairly standard step for me when I paint grey stones, but I deviated here by applying a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade. It's a blue shade, and being a 'cool color' it will alter the tone. I really liked the results, and the effects definitely give me a sense of cold stones.
Drakenhof Nightshade wash.
I next applied a slight layer of Pewter Grey with a highlight of Celestra Grey.

Pewter Grey layer with Celestra Grey highlight. 

I am quite pleased with how these bases have turned out. There are some leaves sculpted onto the base, which sort of baffled me as I thought
Nightvault was supposed to take place underground in the Glass City or whatever. But hey, leaves have a habit of getting blown damn near everywhere, so maybe that's the reasoning here. After looking online and through the October 2018 White Dwarf I confirmed that I was indeed looking at leaves but the examples were painted green. I decided to go with fallen leaves, and an autumnal look.

Autumn leaves.

I used Wild Rider Red as the base for the leaves and used Fiery Orange. Averland Sinset in various layers for the leaves and some of the leaves got a subtle was of either Waywatcher Green or Agrax Earthshade. The leaves looked varied and staggered and a bit more realistic as a result.


So that finished the bases. And since I spent all this time detailing the bases, I will post the progress on the actual warband in the next part.

1 comment:

Siph_Horridus said...

Lovely cold dank stone with dead leaves look. Nicely done, it will look great against the shiny and chrome looking golds!