Sunday, October 01, 2017

Rex (a.k.a. "Veni") -Rogues Gallery Spotlight.

You may have seen him blowing up orks, or likewise blowing up in one of the other Battle Reports I have written over the years. Or perhaps you have seen him in the space-wolves-gallery-part-3, where I first showcased him. He is Rex the Venerable Space Wolf Dreadnought. He was painted and assembled during the 3rd Edition of Warhammer 40k. I don't intend to repeat what was in the earlier spotlight, but really add on to it. My camera back then wasn't as good and there are some details I wanted to focus on that I couldn't (or just didn't) originally.

Also, coincidentally, today kicks off Dreadtober, so I figured that this would be a fun way to draw a bit more attention to it.

Rex. 
When painting the Space Wolves in the late '90s and early '00s I was often hand painting areas to look like parchment and then hand drawing phrases or words to look like pseudo-viking runes, but in english. The words 'REX' seemed short and appropriate here so that's what went on him. It would be during many of our early 3rd edition games that Warfrog would call him "Veni" and the nickname stock.

Chapter Icons
The chapter icons where hand drawn, although other iconography would be created using decals. The campaign badge on his foot for example.

Spotlight is ready. 
The spotlight was from the 2nd edition Imperial Vehicle Accessory sprue. The spotlight was a fairly vital option in those early games when the Nightfighting rules were a bit more oppressive. Interesting that I put the number 7 on him. I am not sure it that means I need to build at least 6 more dreads or what? The twin-linked cannons come from the original Predator kit and I combined them in this manor to evoke the twin Las Cannon style on the original Land Raider. The rocky ruins are from the 3rd edition starter set, and this model is still the only time I have ever used them on any model.


Forward view. Gaze into the light...



Although times hard to see, there is a Grey Hunter icon on the dread close to where the arm mounts to the body of the dread. There is also the sword icon which is also often seen on Grey Hunter models.




And that's Veni. I am thinking about updating his base again as I do prefer the elevated style of the current ones. Those large dread bases where not available back then, which is why he is on a titan base. The pipe is also showing it's age as well, so I am definitely considering an update.

And remember to participate in Dreadtober! Or at least spectate; there were some fine models painted last year and it's sure to be the same this year too!

4 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Lovely blast from past, I want one.

Suber said...

That's nice! The Land Raider lascannons work better than I could think, they make an interesting addition. Lovely.

neverness said...

Thanks. I have a 2nd one of these that I got at the same I acquired this one. That one came painted in Ultramarine colors and I use it with that army. However it's a bit off from my typical UM colors so I plan to one day strip it and redo it. I was really close to making that my Dreadtober project, but decided instead to do an original Rogue Trader era Ork Dred instead.

Rory (Stepping Between Games) said...

Love the old school dread. Well played and a good way to kick start the event.