Saturday, October 28, 2017

Original Ork Dreadnought (Part 5)

My Dreadtober project is now finished, and with a few days in October to spare! Hooray!

Finished and ready to Waaargh!


The following is from the battle report in the post called The Rise of Mad Dok Grotsnik Part-2.

Now, this Deff Dread was the original, circa 1988, Ork Dreadnought. It is piloted by a gretchin. The original idea was that in a cruel experiment a Pain Boy and Mek Boy would partner up and stuff a grot into one of these things, and the crazed power-tripping grot would wreck everything in it's path. The next Ork Dreadnought models came out in 2nd edition and featured an Ork Pilot, and was also bigger to accommodate the large passenger. The 3rd edition dred would only get bigger, and with the current plastic model the size difference is quite laughable! In fact, the grot concept is back in the form of Killer Kans, and we all know, they rock, and they are bigger than this original model. But I don't care, as it still does what it does, and I have it on the proper sized base. I decided that when I paint these (I have two of them and they are both armed the same) I will do them in Bad Moon colors. Maybe the extra wealth of that clan can afford the 'miniaturization' of technology?


That was written a few years ago, and as you can see I had the intention for a long time to make these dreads into Bad Moon Dreads. And, now, finally, I have completed the first one!

Finished! Frontview.
As stated at the end of Part 4, I was inspired by the abandoned construction machinery across the road from my home. Especially inbthe way it was weathering. I applied some rust spots to this dread using a mix of Apple Barrel Indian Red and Folk Art Asphaltum. I watered them slightly to get the color thinned so that it pool on the model's surface. This achieved a very natural looking effect to me and I am pleased with how it look.
Left side view.
I was careful not to be overly liberal with the application of this rust color so as not to overwhelm the model. I wanted to keep it subtle.

Rearview.
I then used Mitheral Silver, an ancient Citadel color, to apply stratches and scrapes in the paint. I put them in areas that I thought would most likely make contact with something.

Rightside view.
Lastly I flocked the base, took the whole model outside and sprayed it with a finish. It was a beautiful day out so I chose to take advtage of it and take some natural lighting pics.



And with that, Dreadtober is a wrap! It was a lot of fun and I am glad I participated even though the Dreadtober site never added this blog to it's blog roll or myself to it's participant list.* A minor, though disappointing, quibble. Maybe next year?



But do I really want to wait until next year for this Dread's companion to be done? Hmmm...

*Looking at the email I sent, it appears I had a typo in the email address. Oops! I didn't get a failed message alert so I bet whomever got that email was confused as heck! LOL! 

6 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Ah that sucks you messed the email address up mate! I've been following anyway, and email with a correct address and the team there should be able to add you and feature yours in the final showcases i'm sure they'll do!

Siph_Horridus said...

And awesome Dread, love the old school cool mate! Just finished my pledge too, will be posting up on WeeMen on Monday morning!

Mordian7th said...

Beautifully done man! An excellent addition to the Dreadtober challenge - Awesome work!

Rory Priest said...

Lovely work on the old school mini. Well painted.

neverness said...

Thanks everyone, it was a lot of fun! I am tempted to do up the 2nd one of the pair, but Chaos is calling out to me again...and I should probably give my poor neglected wolves some attention too.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Nicely done, and I really like that 1st natural lighting shot!! I'm stealing it for the gamenight pic!