Saturday, September 23, 2017

Feeling Khorney (Part 7)

Upon returning home from our vacation to Florida and inspired by my recent purchase of the 40k 8th edition Chaos Codex while down there, I set about getting this unit of Khorne Berserkers finished.

Blood and skullz. For our big bases.

Regular readers may recall that I started on these guys way back in 2013. And although they were mostly done within that year, I was set back by trying to find a certain set of decals and with deciding whether or not to expand their bases. Well, I did decide to expand their bases, but the base extenders I use can feel like work when you have to do so many at once.

The mob of Berserkers with completed extenders.

This particular group of models have slightly smaller bases than the typical bases that come in a regular box set. These models were produced during 40k's 2nd Edition, and for a time GW was more interested in creating very simple "plug and play" models in plastic, even incorporating the base on the model's sprue. I attribute this to the slightly smaller size which makes the extenders, just barely, not want to make contact all the way around. I overcame this by glueing the ring together around the model first (see next pic below), then applying superglue to the orginal base all the way around, then adjusting the mini until it made contact to the extender where I preferred it to be.

Hulu hooping for Khorne! 
That worked out well, although there are some minis that required a bit of Greenstuff to fill in the joins.

Due to time constraints I am having to do these a few minis at a time. Here are the first 5 models, with the extender and additional gravel painted in Territorial Beige.

Terracotta Brown.
To match the existing color I washed Brown Ink over the Territorial Beige.

Brown Ink Wash.
To complete this, I matched the color by drybrushing Territorial Beige over the new section before drybrushing over the whole base with Desert Sand.
Desert Sand highlights.
And with that the bases are now extended, they just need to be flocked. All I need to do now is finish the rest of them (ten more after this) and apply decals. And some models require a bit of glue too.
I'm getting there...



5 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

I have to do this with about 120 Marines.... seamless bases mate, great job

Siph_Horridus said...

You gonna add some of the new Box O' Skulls to their bigger bases now there is room?

neverness said...

I added a few skulls already, and I will likely add more after I finish the bases on the rest of the unit. I am probably going to add some grass tufts as well. Maybe a few disgarded weapons also.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Speaking of bases, discarded weapons and villains in general, I picked up some macragge blue for the debris on the Fem Fa'Tau bases....

neverness said...

Haha, yeah well they killed my whole army at least 3 times over so...you might need more!
I got some spare RTB01 arms if you need to get more specific.