Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Goff Talk

Goffs!!!
Yes, today I am talking about Goffs. The Space Orks clan of axe-wielding, horn-headed, bull-skull love'n boyz in black. Specifically my Goffs. The Goffs are my primary Ork Clan. Sure, I have some Bad Moons, Snake Bites, etc. But the primary theme for the army is Goffs.

These Goffs I am talking about today are the models that came with the Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition starter set. That set came with twenty mono-pose (OK, yes, technically you can raise or lower the gun arm, but whatever) Goff Orks. The box had a brilliantly executed John Blanche painting on it that was totally inspiring. And the 2nd Ed Ork Codex had a color section in it that showcased a variety of different Goff color schemes. Please keep in mind that this was the mid-'90s. The RED '90s. Over 20 years ago.

I decided to paint these guys in squads of five so I could break them up into smaller units if I ever needed to. To best pull this off I chose to paint these groups using the 2nd Ed Ork codex as a guide.

The first group I painted is essentially my go-to Goff scheme. The "Ork Pizza" boyz that I first posted on here way back in 2011, in a post called Orky Love, are sort of based on this scheme, sans the red.

Mostly black Goff.
One boy has a uniquely painted gun inspired by the Blanche art. I really like this and I wonder why I never repeated this on any of the other boyz...
The Goff with the yellow gun.
My favorite color scheme was this one with the dark green flak armor. I think If I painted this group today I would play down the red and ditch the tan pants for red.

The green Goff scheme.
The red and white Goffs are very...disco. Yet I like them. Not sure how I would tweak this if I were to do it now.

Red and White Goff.
The red orks. Definitely a product of their time!

The so-red-it-hurts Goff.
In time I added more Goff Orks to the original twenty but I never painted them. Well, witb exception to two metal Orks, one of whom was this Nob that I am still quite proud of.

Redklaw Da Kripple.
 Old Redklaw, and other two metal Goffs (they are front and center in the top pic) were the only Goff boyz to have their bases flocked back then. And I am glad for that as these will be redone, in time, with the brown color that I like to use.

I happen to have seven more of these style Orks and the notion hit me to finally finish them. This whole post started when I decided I wanted to finish these two models from the path to Gorkamorka posts.  But I couldn't recall exactly how I painted my older Goffs so I dug them out to look at them and saw these gits just begging for paint.

Totally begging for paint. 

I started on them right away by basecoating their skin and painting their bases. And I think, sticking with tradition here, that I will paint these boyz, with their own five-man subgroup, in a weird fusion of these two color schemes. But I will likely down-play the reds.

A date with fusion.

They will get their own post at some point. Also I plan on finally basing the older painted guys. It should be a lot of fun!


5 comments:

Rory (Stepping Between Games) said...

Aww yes. Flashbacks to my first games against those guys.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Goffs iz 'ardest n' BIGGEST! Deez gitz iz jus' a bunch of weedy lil' yoofs!!!

neverness said...

At the rate my boyz have been killed off most of my army ought to be yoofs!

Suber said...

Pure Orkiness at its most. I love them so much!

(Kym) + Warburton + (Classic40K) said...

Hell yeah!