Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Big Guns Never Tire - Empire Edition (Part 2)

 I finished the crew in Part 1,  now for the actual big guns.

These things are fairly basic so I didn't bother with taling any WIP shots  Tbe first cannon I acquired about 20 years ago from Warfrog. He had made it in such a way so that the great cannon and mortar could switched out. I was able to scrounge the other bits needed to turn the leftover bits into a second carriage so that I could use both the cannon and the mortar. I had also found another mortar in my bitz box which gives me the option to field two mortars if I chose too. 


I took the basic idea for the color scheme from the WHFB 6th edition Empire Armies book. The weapons were painted using Leadbelcher topped with Nuln Oil Gloss. I used Leadbelcher to edge highlight the guns and used Stormhost Silver for a few final highlights. 


You might have noticed that one of the mortars has a cannonball in it. This was made by rolling up some greenstuff. I glued it in after I painted the inside of the barrel black just in case there was any gaps. 


Wyldwood Contrast Paint with a layer of old Bestial Brown was the basis for the gun carriages. I finished that off with a few Washes of Agrax Earthshade and some Nuln Oil.


Aftter some grass tufts and a few leaves were added, this project was done.  I hope to get these guys in action soon, but the specific armistice I am building these guys for have a few more units that I still need to add, so, stay tuned!