Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Deathwatch: Kill Team Neverness (Part 3)

Deathwatch Epistolary.

 In spite of the strain on my free time these past few weeks I have managed to paint up another member of this Deathwatch Kill Team. I started this guy way back when the Deathwatch were featured in an early 4th edition Chapter Approved article in White Dwarf 306. Back then this guy was going to be the squad's leader but now he's an Independent Character again. Which, ultimately, makes a lot more sense to me.

Seems like forever since he saw any more paint.

I tightened up and darkened up some of the armored areas.  But the main thing I want to talk about here is the energy effect on the force sword. I base coated this using Game Color Livery Green. Honestly, I was tempted to leave it like this as it worked really well at this step.

Livery Green base coat on force sword.

But I wanted to stick with my plan so down of center of this effect I painted on Apple Barrel Colors Kiwi. Down the middle of that I added a line of Nurgling Green. This was turning out well but definitely a bright departure from the Livery Green. So I topped it off with a strategic application of Tesseract Glow. I defined the blade edge afterwards using Mithereal Silver. A thinned layer of Tesseract Glow over that gave the blade an interesting sheen.

Tesseract Glow on the force sword.

I had always intended this Librarian to be from the Ultramarines chapter. And now it's official. At least my crude attempt at freehand painting on the Ultramarines icon on the backplate of his backpack says so. 

Ultramarines icon.

Throughout the painting of this model I would find a detail I was unsure of and I would find the solution by referring to the picture of this miniature from the 2nd Ed Ultramarines Codex. The lack of a "random red thing" throughout my painting of this guy really makes him seem gritty and serious compared to the example found in that codex! 

Side view of the blade.

After some grass tufts, and a few lines of brown Micron added to his scroll work,  he was finished off with some protective dull coat. 

Finished!

And I am happy to report he is finally finished and ready to join in with the rest of his Ordo Xenos brethren as they accompany Inquisitor Draco to this year's Inquisitional Conclave



1 comment:

Zzzzzz said...

Nice. A half elf hiding in the Ordos Xenos.