Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Inquisitor Jaq Draco (Part 2)

Image from Inquisitor, by Ian Watson*.

Continuing on from Part 1 , I primed the model after I flocked and added lots of skulls to the base.  Sadly I don't have any Genestealer Cult bits to attempt to make the cover of Inquisitor (see first image), but during his trilogy he was on a lot of battlefields anyway. And it's 40k, so...skulls.

Skulls and grit.

Next came the Contrast Paint. Specifically Blood Angels Red for the armor and Gulliman Flesh foe the skin. 

I love you Contrast Paint...

Armor highlights are Wazdakka Red followed by Fire Dragon Orange. 


Cadian flesh was applied over the Gulliman Flesh with a subtle highlight of an old Delta Ceramcoat color called Pink Frosting. And, well, it worked out good I think! And in case you're wondering, yeah, I decided that attempting the scorpion tattoo on the side of his face would be an exercise in folly. 


I will add a final highlight of Sunburst Yellow to the armor soon. So far I think I got the armor looking close to how the artist got it on  the cover illustration. One notable deviation will be the scabbard for his blade. On the cover it looks similar to the skull covered sheath on the original Terminator Captain miniature, but no such adornment exists here. I guess I can just do what I want with that item, but I got a bit more time to figure it out...

Not sure about that sheath...

Next, and this is going to be the big challenge of this project, I am going to attempt to paint the icon on the right side pauldron. I don't think it will be easy, but we'll see...

The arms await final embellishments.

*Image (c) Games-Workshop, used here without permission but used for the purpose of review and not as a challenge to the copyright holder


2 comments:

DAM said...

Coming along quite well! Nice work on this metal classic.

Zzzzzz said...

Excellent likeness. And I still havn't revisited that book.