Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Cadia Stands! (Part 2)

 Since the last time I posted about these fellows they have seen combat, and have been lurking in the background of every project that I have done since then. Slowly though, they have accumulated a little paint here and there.  In the first post it was all about getting these guys battle-ready. I basecoated the models and tightened them up for presentation in a battle report. From here on out though, we're going to be getting them up to what GW calls "parade-ready".  Well for me my goal is set to get them to look like the test model as shown in the first post. 

Middle layer applied to uniforms.

The color I used on the middle layer for their uniforms is an Apple Barrel color called Country Grey which I found works great for getting that classic Rogue Trader era Imperial Guard look. The other area that I did a mid-coat on was the metallic iconography. I used Folk Art Metallic Antique Copper on these areas.  

The Sarge at mid-coat. 

Next I used Nuln Oil in the recesses to help deepen the shadows. On the test miniature, which was done around the turn of the century, I used a thinned down Black Ink, which basically what Nuln Oil is. I also painted the strap on the front of the helmet and highlighted the black areas.

Nuln Oil in the grooves.

Well, what was supposed to happen with the rest of this post was that I was going to focus on finishing just the Sarge. However I was stunned -stymied- denied! -the opportunity to do this upon discovering that both of my Space Wolves Grey paint pots have dried up. One of those post was from the Space Marines Paintset from '89 and the other onc was from the early '00s. The larger impact upon my hobby is that my Space Wolves army is truly reliant upon this color. The current GW analog, although nice, isn't as bright as the traditional Space Wolves Grey was. Bemoaning this to Da Masta Cheef, he suggested that I finally give Coat D'Arms colors a shot. I followed his advice and those colors are now on the way to me from Canada. With any luck I should be able to get back to this project soon. 


2 comments:

Dai said...

First time I’ve read on this project and I love it. So cool that you are going with the old Necromunda regiment colours and on these original cadian figs it looks great!

Interested to see what you think of the Coat D’arms range

Suber said...

Ooohhh, I have a soft spot for these old Cadians, I love what you are doing here :)