Monday, November 15, 2021

Slann Warrior (Art Monday)

 


This is an unpublished piece drawn back in 1995. I think I drew this originally as part of a submission pack for The Dark Library fanzine who were working on their version of a Slann codex. I missed out on that somehow but I still ended up with this fun piece anyway. 

Note that he's armed with a neuro disrupter, a weapon that was very much MIA in the Warhammer 40,000 game when I drew this. It has made a return in the mid-'00s with the relaunch of the Harlequins. 

This version of the Slann were awesome and full of potential, but for some mysterious reason the 40k line was already neigh impossible to find when I started playing on 1989. And I don't think they were in the Citadel Catalogs of the early '90's either, but someone knew were to look and found this list. 


I only ever managed to acquire a single one of these miniatures, and I suspect that even that one is a bootleg. It's a shame as I think these guys are very cool and might have made for a unique option in the 40k range. I did find a pack of the fantasy Slaan when I returned here to the states around '93. I used them in a 1st edition game and that single squad, generated from the Rogue Trader list (the only official one they ever had) generated quite a formidable warband. GW has been mining the old concepts over the past decade and producing models to help secure and maintain their IP, so who knows, maybe one day they may return?


2 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

They look like the inspiration for Diehard Miniatures' Sci-fi Eru-kin miniature line (of which I have their Rogue Trader w/pet minis).

https://diehardminiatures.com/product-category/eru-kin/

neverness said...

Tim Prow has been doing an amazing job on keep the spirit of the original WFB Slann alive and well. The Diehard Miniatures stuff is just perfect!