Monday, December 13, 2021

Harlequin vs. Squats (Art Monday)

 Greetings, sorry about missing Art Monday these past few weeks, life* happens. Anyway, here's a piece I got kick out of creating way back in the mid '90s.  


I love a good action scene and I really wanted to show an Eldar Harlequin in action. This was submitted to Inquisitor Magazine but was not used. Despite my liking of the figures in it, I think the piece doesn't work how I hoped it would have. I blame the holofield effect I was going for and the lack of contrast on the image. If I were to take another stab at this I would probably half-tone the bricks in the background to help the foreground characters 'pop'.  I think Tim at Inquisitor Magazine saw this too when he passed it by. Or maybe he thought it was too violent? 

I started in this hobby back in '89 and the Harlequins only had the list that appeared in White Dwarf (#105?). And in that edition they were combat monsters and a single one was definitely capable of wading through a unit of Squats with little fear of them. They were nerfed in 2nd edition and marginalized in every edition after that until they became a true army in 7th Edition. But I fondly remember their formative years, and I hope this piece captures an aspect of that time. 

*My 2nd child was born on 11/28; it's been a busy past few weeks! 

2 comments:

Dai said...

I love this piece! She looks like she’s just waltzing at leisure and slaying with reckless abandonment. Poor Squats…

Congrats on the new arrival! My daughter arrived at the end of September and she’s been a wonderful whirlwind in my life ever since.

neverness said...

Thanks! That 'waltzing in and slaughtering' vibe was absolutely what I was going for. I am glad you like it!