A Lookout Gnoblar.
 |
| "Look out sir, dey gotta cannon!" |
This is a test piece for a unit of Gnoblars that I will be painting some point in the next few months. It was a bit challenging working out how to paint them as I only had the Original WFB 7th edition era Ogre Kingdoms book and Destruction Battletome Ogor Mawtribes an outdated AOS hardcover (A used book which I only bought for the paint guides) to provide a glue on how to paint these guys. The 7th edition book cited a scheme using outdated paints while the AoS book seemed a bit odd. So I had a plan...
 |
| Prined |
Contrast Paints were once again my salvation. I used Black Templar on the Gnoblar's skin. Of course I used Skeleton Horde m on the skull he's standing on. I am imagining that this is a skull from one of the Sky Titans that the Ogres wiped out some time ago.
 |
| Black Templar skin. |
I decided to go with a scheme that belies the scrappy nature of the Gnoblars. Colors that don't even begin to make sense, that look like random scraps that were found and converted into garments. The colors used were
Snakebite leather for the headpiece,
Miliitarum Green for the shirt and
Sigvald Burgundy for the... tunic thingy.
 |
| Contrst Colour clothes. |
The next step was to add Castellon Green onto the flesh. Although I like how the Black Templar looked by itself, it only looked that good under harsh lighting. Otherwise it appeared too dark for the look I was going for.
 |
| Castellon Green skin. |
I painted Dawnstone onto the Castellon Green. This was basically me conceding to follow the recipe in the AoS book, and I think it works.
 |
| Dawnstone skin. |
Next I wanted to add a bit more character to this fellow, so I reddened his nose. I did this using a conservative application of Bloodletter.
 |
| Bloodletter on the nose. |
To dirty up the clothes, I gave e them a wash if Agrax Earthshade. I really think this does the trick in making things look more grimey. Note that I haven't finished the base yet.
 |
| Agrax Earthshade wash (front) |
By the way, I listened to t
his inspirational podcast on Gnoblars that I highly recommend that you listen too if the subject interests you at all.
 |
| Agrax Earthshade wash (back). |
So, why, you maybe asking, and I suddenly painting a Gnoblar? Well I'm not just painting one, I am about to paint 30 of them! The leader of this massive unit is called a Groinbiter (find me a unit champion with a better title than that!) who I am calling Mastablasta!
 |
| Mastablasta the Groinbiter. |
This unit is part of a 1000 point poi t force of Ogre Kingdoms that I am doing for the
Call of the Crown challenge starting on October 1st 2026. I have to finish one unit at the end of each month. I will probably add another character for a 6th unit unless I have to take a mulligan. To find out what I mean by that, check out thr Call of the Crown rules at the link above.
 |
| The tribe gathers. |
I spent some time in September assembling this force which , I must confess, I had a lot of fun doing. The Yhetee were the only things I had
prepared previously, I just never got back to them after that previous post.
 |
| A better view. |
Anyway, here's the army list that I am basing this challenge on:
Ogres CCC 2 [1000 pts]
Warhammer: The Old World, Ogre Kingdoms, Renegade (v1.5.2.2), Open War
- Tyrant, Great weapon, Heavy armour, Brace of Ogre pistols, General, On foot, Potion of Speed - 215
- 30 Gnoblar Fighters, Throwing weapons (Sharp stuff), Groinbiter (champion) - 65
- 6 Ironguts, Great weapons, Heavy armour, Veteran, Gutlord (champion) [Jade Lion], Standard bearer - 285
- 5 Leadbelchers, Leadbelcher guns, Light armour, Veteran, Thunderfist (champion) - 213
- 5 Yhetees, Grimfrost weapons, Greyback - 222
---
Created with "Old World Builder"
I will discuss these units more as I work on each one. This is the 6th one of these that have been done, but this is my first year doing it. It should be fun, and I am excited to get it going.
No comments:
Post a Comment