Wednesday, September 09, 2026

Mounted Celestial Wizard

 I am building an Empire of Man Knightly Order army and I decided I wanted a mounted wizard to support it. Digging through the Neverness Archive I found three unopened blisters of old mounted wizards. A Gold Wizard, Jade Wizard and Celestial Wizard. I decided to go with the Celestial Wizard as I felt he would fit the theme of the army better than the other two.


Mint in blister, a Celestial Wizard. 

After cracking open that beautiful mint condition packaging, I cleaned up the model of it's flash and mold lines. Then I primed it and got to work slapping on the base coats using Contrast Paints. 




Next came the barded horse. Only the muzzle and saddle have any contrast paint on them. The rest of the model is classic Citadel Paint. Macrage Blue on the barding's basecoat followed by Caledon Sky. A subtle highlight of Calgar Blue finished the barding color. 


Dots of White Scar was applied to create a star field look. And a pentacle was freehanded on each cheek of the horse's rump. 


This all came together nicely, and when the rider was done he was glued into position on the horse's back. 


Finally, the flocking stage. I added the usual variety of grass tufts and fallen leaves, and essentially this model is now complete. 


I dig how he turned out. I think he captures that '90s Wayne England color pallette vibe well. 


Oh, the white under the leaves is the PVA glue which hadn't hardened yet before I snapped these pics. I assure you that is no longer apparent on the model now. The last thing left to do is to seal the miniature to reduce the risk of chipping. 

The the next you see him, he should be in battle. Could be awhile though,  but in the meantime I need to figure out a name for him so he can join the Neverness Fantasy Rogues Gallery. 


No comments: