Thursday, July 15, 2021

Deathwatch Chaplain

  

Xenos hunt on deathworld Crootsburg VIII.

Deathwatch time. Quite truly overdue actually. The last time I dealt with my Deathwatch was back in 2016. At the time I wanted to build a small force of these guys to support either my Imperial Guard or one of my other Space Marine armies. This was during 7th edition and when the Codex for that edition arrived I found myself overwhelmed by it and the new unit options available to it, so I backburnered these guys. Until now. 

We have been playing some smaller point sized games lately which allows me to bring out some of these smaller forces and let them hit the table. My Deathwatch are greatly unprepared for battle but with a little bit of hobby focus I should be able to get them ready for battle. 

I decided not to start off with my long neglected Kill Team but to kick things off with a character model. I just happened to have this Deathwatch Chaplain that I bought around the time of the 7th Edition codex release. 

 
He was originally released back when 28mm was the standard base size for mostly everything in the game, but by the time the Deathwatch was released in 2016 32mm bases had become the the default size for space marines. So one was included in the clam pack, rattling around loosely. Tinkering around with the model and these bases I decided that I rather like the scenic 28mm base and that it would look better just stuck on the 32mm base. I added some rubble (i.e. pieces of chopped up sprue), skulls and grit and I had cool base for this fellow. Painting it was fairly simple, and in the following pics you. And see how it all pulls together with some color.

The modified base.

Base coats on the base. 

Mid coats.

I added the highlights to the base after I attached the main figure. Speaking of which, this is one of those rare models where after you finish with the base coats, you feel like you're almost done.

Base coats.

And after a few more steps, well, I was! 



The bone work was done a bit differently on the Chaplain's armor and helm than the actual skulls shattered about on his base. Instead of highlighting them up with Whitescar, I used Pallid Wyche Flesh. I liked how this turned out as it wasn't as intense. 



A detail I added at the last minute was the brown lines, to indicate writing, on the scroll work. This was done using a brown micron pen. Funny thing is, I usually hate the look of warriors wearing paper to battle. It seems really silly and impractical. But I think it turned out nice on this model. 

Detail added to scrolls.

And that's a wrap! I knocked this one out quick, I hope I can do that for the rest of the Deathwatch I have...

Deathworld Crootsburg VIII, post pacification.



3 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

Since we're talking chaplains here, I'll go ahead & say it: He needs a jet pack and some difficult terrain to land on!

neverness said...

Believe it or not I plan on doing one of those for my Celestial Lions, assuming the shoulder pads for them ever show up...

neverness said...

...And the shoulder pads have arrived!