Monday, September 21, 2020

The Second Death Guard Experiment.

Death Guard #2.

And here is the second of the Rotten Many. Following on from the first experiment, I wanted to do something extremely different. I want to paint this miniature in the classic colors from the Horus Heresy. I really like this color scheme, and I thought it would look interesting to do that scheme on these classic models from the mid-90's. I found this tutorial that Games Workshop put out a while back, gathered the colors, and dug in.

Primed. 

Basecoat of Rakarth Flesh.

I decided that the GW tutorial linked above doesn't quite take the armor scheme up bright enough. It's a fine battle-ready scheme but I like to go a bit further. Also in other model examples and book cover art that I have seen of Heresy era Death Guard they are usually shown to be very white. I found another tutorial that mirrored the GW one almost exactly, but did in fact take the armor past the Pallid Flesh level and up to white, which I do like better, so I think I will use both for references.

Pallid Wyche Flesh*

After the Pallid Wyche Flesh layer, Agrax Earthshade was carefully applied to the recesses and joins.

Agrax Earthshade *
I used Balthazar Brass for the base coat on the trim and spike which follows those two tutorials, as a departure from the Ral Partha Copper Metallic that I used on the 1st Death Guard. The guts were base coated using Screamer Pink. The armor was touched up using Pallid Wyche Flesh and highlighted with White Scar.

Highlighted up with White Scar.
The rest of the model went smoothly. I mostly followed the steps for the shoulder pads as shown in the two tutorials, but like the first miniature I chose to give the brass/gold areas a red ink wash. The guts were colored exactly like the first one was model also.
The finished model.
In the GW tutorial Emma added decals to her Death Guard miniature that I thought looked really good. I was able to track these down to being produced by Forgeworld but I wasn't prepared to pay what they are asking for these things. Seeing few other options, I might have to just bite the bullet and go for it anyway. All in time.

In the meantime I want to paint up some more Death Guard whose color schemes are in a transitional state between these too miniatures. I guess you could say that these are my control models on either end of the Death Guard color spectrum. And the next lot are going to sort of be balanced in between. I think this will be fun to do!

The controls are set for the states of decay.

*Note: in this photo I am using an indirect light source so that the contrasting hues can be seen better.


4 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

You've invest too much in this hobby to let a $30+ decal sheet hold ya back now!

neverness said...

Again, your logic conquers me.

Marc van Holst said...

I love these old Plague Marines! Fantastic paint job too. I was very close to getting some back in the day, but ended up with Dark Angels instead.

neverness said...

Well, at least you're still playing traitor marines. ;)