Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Warhammer Turkey Creek Anniversary

Speed painting!

I went down to the Knoxville area to partake in the Warhammer Turkey Creek store anniversary event. It's a week long celebration of fun events (schedule listed below).  On the day I went they had a series of speed painting events. The one I took part in was a 15 minute speed paint using Contrast Paints. We got there a few minutes late and the manager was just about to kick things off when Mrs. Neverness asked him if I could still get in. "Sure!" He said enthusiastically, and in I was. 

One of the painting tables. 

We were crammed around two small tables with a mixed assortment of Contrast Paint, palletes and brushes provided by the store. The posting on Facebook said to 'bring a brush and paint' which I did, but I was glad that I didn't need to use them in the end. I had a lot of fun doing this event and I took some risks I might not typically take. Being under the gun to knock it out in 15 minutes was a fun aspect to it but all in all I was happy with the result. 

My finished entry.


In the end there were seven of us who participated in this round. And considering the chaotic nature of the whole thing, some of these turned out surprisingly good. 


Class photo! 

The judges scrutinized the results for a good while but ultimately the picks were made. My Ultramarines guy came in third, a blood covered  Space Wolf came in 2nd and a Warcry guy came in first. 

The scrutinizing.

Prizes were basically dives into the store goody box. 3rd place got one pick, 2nd two picks and 1st got three picks. It was like lanyards and post cards and stuff. I picked a pack of Kill Team objective markers since we can actually use those. But the prizes were not a big deal, it was just all good fun and I got a marine mini out of it which I thought was very cool. 

Swag!

Talking to the winner he showed me some of the techniques he was using with the new Contrast Paints. It was some interesting stuff which convinced me to pick up some more  Contrast paint before I left. We were allowed to keep our miniature, but if you didn't want to the ones left behind were going to become ornaments for this year's store Christmas tree. The winner volunteered his model for the tree after he finished taking some pics of it. So if you go to this Warhammer store this holiday season you just might be able to spot it.

The winner! 


The 2nd place winner was a really friendly guy and he clearly had fun making his Space Wolf miniature* look caked in drying blood. Apparently he does most of his army like this as he likes to think that his Space Wolves tear into their foes in an extremely violent manner. 

Of course, as I stated last month, my main reason for coming down here was to get that Inquisitor model. I have him ordered and will have to come back down in the near future to pick him up. 


This was the schedule of events, which if you're  a local would be a lot of fun to take part in all of it. It's a 4 hour round trip for me so I had to pick the day I thought would appeal to me the most. Here's the schedule for the sake of prosperity:

ANNIVERSARY SCHEDULE!

We're going to have all kinds of fun activities for building, painting, and playing all week-- take a look!

SATURDAY: Kickoff for the One-Week Painting Competition, and the Start Collecting Challenge-- grab something off the shelf and go!

SUNDAY: Zombie Horde. Bring an Age of Sigmar Hero (less than 10 wounds) and see how long you survive the endless horde of undead...

MONDAY: Tank-Off! Bring a Warhammer 40000 Vehicle and blow everything up!

TUESDAY: Speed Painting at 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, AND 6:00-- models provided! Just bring a brush and paints.

WEDNESDAY: Monster Mash! Bring an Age of Sigmar MONSTER and duke it out!

THURSDAY: Combat Patrol Battles! Bring a 500pt Combat Patrol and face-off against any and all comers. 

FRIDAY: Heresy Friday! Bring your Age of Darkness armies and fight for the Emperor or the Warmaster.

SATURDAY: Conversion Competition! Grab anything off the shelf and combine it with the store's bitz box by the end of the day!

SUNDAY: Awards! Judging for the Single Model Painting Competition, the Start Collecting Challenge, and the Conversion Competition. 

Questions? Call the shop or stop by! What are you looking forward to?


 
I wish I could make a trip down on Sunday to see the results of the Painting and Conversion Competitions but I have no doubt these will be posted to FB in the aftermath of this event. 

Thanks to the Warhammer store's manager (Sorry I'm horrible with names!) for hosting and conducting such a fun event!

 
* Blogger won't let me move this pic where I want to put it so here it is to close out this post:

Second Place winner. 

No comments: