Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Reavers of the Obsidian Rose (Part 2)


Continuing on from the Part-1, I got the second Reaver up to the same basecoat level as the first one.

Basecoated in Khorne Red. 
Then I painted them up to the next level using Blood Red.

 Blood Red. 

 The next two layers were Wildrider Red and final highlight of Sunburst Yellow.


Here they are being compared to the Venom that I painted last month. Note that the curvature of the Reaver Bikes are exceptionally good at catching a glare so photographing these things is a bit tricky.

Venom comparison.
 Using a bit of sponge I dabbed on some areas to give the impression of scratched paint. This was done primarily to the Bladevanes and sharp edges.
Scrapes applied.
 A further highlight of Mitheril Silver was added to the edges of the blades and randonly added to a few spot to look like fresh gashes.

Mithril Silver added to the blades. 
Notice the bike with the overhead gun; I just couldn't allow the illogic of having the blade nearly touching the rider's head to continue. So I trimmed it off and together with another blade glued it to the side of the Splinter Rifle to give a sort of pronged claw-like look. I think it improved the look of that bike also!

So these first two Reaver Bikes are done, I just need to finish the riders next.

6 comments:

Matt Blowers said...

Really nice paint scheme! It makes the OOP reavers almost passable. I'm so glad they have updated the Dark Eldar to the new models.

Siph_Horridus said...

Smart paint job, very stylish. Good job mate.

thebob489 said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see them on the table

neverness said...

Thanks everyone!
@Matt Blowers: I do like the updated (most of which are now approaching 8 years old...wow!) models a lot. My whole thing is that I gathered most of what I have when a few games stores closed down in the early '00s. The updatung and merging if the omd with the new has worked out surprisingly well I think.
@Siph: cheers man, thanks as always!
@Bob: I look forward to getting these in action. It is going to take a long time to get my Dark Eldar up to a strong enough force to be viable for 8th, but maybe we can work them into a Kill Team match...?

neverness said...

Forgive those typos, doing this frombmy mobile...😕

Mike (Didcot Wargames Club) said...

Damn, those look good! Great work.