Monday, October 23, 2017

Nik Fury -Rogues Gallery Spotlight.

Here is an oldy! We continue Orkober with another showcase from the Neverness Rogues Gallery.

Way back in 1989, the summer that the first plastic Space Ork boxed set was released, Doc TSG was at my house while I was building some orks. And he got in on the action and built this guy. He made the cigar from a bit of sprue and we dubbed him Nik Fury as a result

Nikk Fury. Leada of Da Howl'n Kommandos. 

He cobbled together the craziest kustom kombi-weapon for this model. The Dr has always had a gift for crazy kustom ork weapons, and I regret that I have no pics to show you some more examples of this fact. This particular one is a twin-linked plasma pistol combo mounted onto an axe. Not sure if that was meant to be a power axe or not.

His other arm is the classic power klaw from that set, and I still think that it is probably one of the best bitz GW ever produced. This model was painted while still living in East Anglia in the early '90s, and although most of this scheme is quite dated by my current ork paint scheme standards, I really dig how that klaw still looks. If I recall, I tried to get the metal to look mostly like an old copper penny. And I had a limited selectuon of paints to use at the time. I based it with Terracotta from the Space Marine Paint Set, and likely dry brushed it with Snakebite Leather before giving a wash of Brown ink. I think I used Chainmail to dry brush over this for the final effect. Simple stuff really. I never did anything with bases back then as I just didn't know how to do them. It took me a few years to figure out how, and I just never went back to my old miniatures (like this one) to get them caught up.

A wicked a lethal (for he user) Kustom Kombi Weapon. 


That original boxed set came with a plethora of accessories, many of which remain in my bitz bin to this day.  Some of the more memorable bitz were the stick bombs, pouches, and even a trenching shovel for digging in!

Geared up! 

He was never an army leader or anything too awesome, but he has been instrumental in some games for either tying up the enemy or outright killing someone important. But most remember him for the zany conversion or the cool name.

UPDATE: Here is the long lost pic of the time Nik Fury, a nob, defeated an opposing Ork Warlord, the nefarious Masta Cheef himself! Thank to the Da Masta Cheef for reminding me of this event.

Da Masta Cheef defeated by Nik Fury.


2 comments:

Rory (Stepping Between Games) said...

That name is inspired!

neverness said...

Indeed.
Also, talking to Da Masta Cheef after this post went up, we bith recalled a game where Nik Fury killed his army's warlord, Da Massta Cheef himself! I had a pic of it but neither one of us can find it. The battle occurred prior to either of us becoming bloggers.