Sunday, February 24, 2013

Long in the fang (Part one)

Flocked, finished and ready to fight!
Since as far back as last July I have been using Long Fangs with my Space Wolves. One of the few units in the current Codex: Space Wolves that improved over the previous Codex, and it has more to due with the points cost of the unit than anything else. The addition of Snapfire and Overwatch in 6th edition has only added to their strength. Looking back at the battles in which I have included them, and you'll see that more often than not they not only killed more than their share of points, but often survived the battle. I found in my collection two of the old 2nd edition missile launcher marines from the Warhammer 40,000 rules boxed set, and ran them with the old RTB01 marines that I had turned into Long Fangs way back around '95.
RTB01 marine with 1st ed. Imperial Guard lascannon
When the Longs Fangs were created as a unit type way back in the twilight months of 1st edition in White Dwarf magazine, I had to reorganize my existing units. Prior to this Space Wolves were little more than a color scheme for your Space Marine Chapter, but all Space Marines pretty much had the same list. I loved the new background and gladly incorporated into my models. The original models all have studded left shoulder pads while the newer Mk7 armored marines now had smooth shoulder plates with the chapter symbol now being presented on the left side. My solution was to put the pack marking on the left leg greave and leave the chapter symbol on the right shoulder. I thought this worked out well, even though I have never seen anyone else do this. The next step was to take the heavy weapons out of the Tactical Squads and form them into Longs Fangs packs, while the remaining Tactical Squads would become Grey Hunters. Despite the age of these guys, and my maturity as a miniature painter, I have a fondness for these old models and I hesitate to strip them down and rework them, so in the meanwhile I will simply add newer models.

The "new guys", base coats.

 I started off as I typical do.
  • Clean up the model.
  • Add "ground" to the base.
  • Prime.
  • Base coat
  • Apply the layers (usually a thin mid coat, solid mid coat, thin layer coat, solid layer coat, and finish with a highlight).
The pic above shows these models at the base coat step.

While working on the two plastic missile launchers, I decided that a new Pack Leader was needed. The old model was armed with a powerfist, which proved to be a poor choice in game, and he was looking a bit worse for age than some of the other models. I also started to work on multi-melta guy as well. That model, along with the Pack Leader, will be shown in the later parts. For now, I will focus on the two missile launchers.
Knife guy. Mid-coat stage.
On this chap I simply added a Space Wolf knife. Nothing radical, but somehow it makes him immediately wolfy. Just to be sure though, I put a wolf tail on his missile launcher too. I decided to try painting the acquilla in a metallic color. Normally on the Space Wolves I have been painting the chest acquila in yellow/orange color which can be a real pain in the ass to get to a standard that I like an oftn frustrates me. I liked the color scheme I came up with on other models, vehicles mostly, and thought it could work well here.

Skull guy. Mid-coat stage.
On this guy, I attached a big wolf skull to his belt buckle, because that makes sense, right?


Skull guy. 3/4 stage.
 
 
Here's skull guy at the next stage, with the skull looking more boney and the acquila finished. I am pleased with the aquila here, and I think this is the solution to the yellow aquila dilema. 

Knife guy. completed.




Skull guy. Completed
The pics above show both models finished. Although it is difficult to make out, the original 1st edition Space Wolf Chapter markings were used on the shoulder plates. They have Army Badges on the right leg, which I will discuss more on the Multi-Melta guy's showcase in the Long in the Fang part 2.

Hope you enjoyed,

7 comments:

Kushial said...

I like how the acquilas came out as well. Is that a bronze/brass color to it? Can't wait to see what you do with a Lonewolf with all the old model potential in your collection when you get around to that part of the army.

neverness said...

Thanks Kushial. I have done a Long Wolf already, click the 'label' on the right-side to find him. Also, that death watch marine that blogged about last month would make a fine Lone Wolf as well. I do intend to do more so I have more options.

For the aquila I used the old 'Tin-bitz' color, then a thinned gold, then a solid gold. (-did I really just type 'solid gold'? LOL). I have decided that tin-bitz is my favorite base coat for my non-silver metals.

Kushial, when are doing a blog? Even just to show-case your awesome collection? :)

Kushial said...

Yeah, Tin-bitz is a nice shade to it. I went through a couple pots of that stuff back with my old Dark Elf army with the Executioners. And yeah, not a bad looking Lone Wolf. I'd love to see someone do a Crockett/Boone one sometime with a long rifle and a coonskin hat.

As to starting a blog ... meh, maybe. Never really felt a desire to do one. I am going to be looking into seeing about sorting out what all I got and get a solid number of what all and such. Might go ahead and sort them out by company while I'm at it for pics.

Da Masta Cheef said...

A big belt buckle? lol, immediately it brought to mind: 'Oh we play both kinds here, Country AND Western...'

lol, they do look good though!

neverness said...

Thanks. Yeah, big belt buckles are particularly popular with the Rhino and Razorback drivers. Truknutz have yet to catch on but they are popular with the Orks...

neverness said...

Edits applied. I'm a sloppy editor at midnight, but a hell of critic reading this stuff on a mobile phone during "break" at work! ;)

Kushial said...

Knowing an ork player who DOES have a set of truknuts on one of his trucks .... yeah, glad they're just an ork thing right now.