Thursday, February 28, 2019

Into the Nightvault.


Recently in early February of this year, I sat down for a tutorial of Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault. I'm not going to teach you How to play Nightvault as that link has someone far more appealing and capable than myself that has already done that work. But I will tell you what I thought of it:

I enjoyed the heck out of it!

Easy, yet complex enough to not seem too dumbed down or childish. It's like a Heroquest style game but without the maze and you clearly know who your opponent is going to be. But you don't know exactly what cards they have up their sleeve either and that's where a big part of the complexity comes in.

Each player chooses his board, which them combines with the other player(s) to make a bigger board. This matters due to the starting position and obstacles that are on the individual boards and factors deeply into the strategic play of this game. But the execution of playing your cards right. The Gambit cards in particular. These are Ploys or Spells that can effect you or your opponent and influence the outcome of the game. It all comes together in a fun, easy to learn, quick and competitive game.

I was impressed enough to get my own copy of the game the very next day. I have since began assembling these (surprisingly) complex pushfit models. The first warband I started to work on are the three models that comprise Stormsire's Cursebreakers. But I'll discuss more on those guys in a seperate thread if their own.

Stormcasts assembly begins.

I hope to get some friends who are outside of my usual gaming circle to play this with me.  My hope is that the small model count and boardgame aspect should be less intimidating to them. We'll see. Meanwhile I have been expanding a bit in hope that it does happen. I have picked up a few more Warbands, some extra dice, rulebooks and another board piece.

The expansion begins. 

...Damn, is this addicting!😮

1 comment:

Dwarfy Mcgee said...

Been playing this a ton.